Homemade Chalkpaint – does it work?

I’ve seen various recipes for homemade chalkpaint on the Internet and decided it could be fun to try making some.

I thought a good project to give it a whirl on would be this is chest of drawers that I picked up a while ago.

Chest of drawers before

It is sturdy and the drawers run great for an old piece!  But it had been used in someone’s bathroom and the veneer top was peeling off.

Chipped veneer

Before Christmas, I got as far as scraping the veneer off the top.  Despite the damaged section being really flaky and easy to pick off, the rest proved a headache.

It needed to be soaked thoroughly, heated up with an iron on a damp cloth (very carefully!!!) and chipped off bit by little bit.  Even with all that effort, it still didn’t give up easily.

Unfortunately the top looked rather dinked and dented by the time I had finished sweating over it with a scraper.  I had to use some wood filler to smooth it out a bit.  It is still not perfect, but better.

So, since it is not a pristine piece of furniture, I thought it might be a good one to try the homemade chalkpaint on.

Originally I was going to paint it light blue and add those little bird handles – same as on my retro wardrobe makeover – but one day I was shopping in Homebase and noticed some pastel pink chalky emulsion in the discount section.

It was a lovely ‘sugared almond’ shade and since it was already a chalky consistency, I wondered if I could just paint it on as it was?  I tried a small section, but it was too thin to cover well.

So to make a chalkpaint mix, I followed the recipe given here at Elizabeth & Co.

Basically, it is one part plaster of paris (mixed first in a little water) to three parts paint.  If you tip the plaster of paris powder directly into the paint, you will have gritty bits that are hard to break up, so dissolve the plaster of paris first.

This gave a nice consistency – thicker – and it covered well.

I painted two coats all over, three on the top – it dried quickly – and then I clear waxed it and put on some sweet pink knobs I already had.

I have a bit of a drawer pull fetish and always keep a variety of styles and colours!

Anthropologie knob

I distressed around the edges a little, it was quite hard to sand and less chalky than my Annie Sloan paint.

I actually am pleased with how it turned out, though – it is just a shame we don’t have any little girls around here who could use it!  Any takers?!

My signature

© Copyright Antonia, All rights Reserved. Written For: #tidylife
Follow:

7 Comments

  1. February 2, 2013 / 8:40 am

    It looks lovely! And so much cheaper than Annies to make it yourself! x

  2. February 4, 2013 / 6:53 pm

    Looks great! So will you only make your own paint from now on, or use ASCP?

  3. February 4, 2013 / 7:31 pm

    Thank you! Although it was really an experiment, it turned out ok. (Plus I only had a tiny amount of Annie’s French Linen left so I had to improvise!) I shall buy some more ASCP – just can’t decide which colour to have! I am also about to try ‘Autentico’ for the first time. Variety is the spice of life, as they say, ha ha!

  4. February 5, 2013 / 10:40 pm

    Hi Antonia, I’ve just nominated you for a Liebster Award! xxx

  5. Georgie
    December 20, 2014 / 4:48 am

    I love your blog and your style.

    • Antonia
      December 20, 2014 / 11:20 am

      Aww, thank you Georgie! Nice to have you here 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge