Why I’m Still Running… 7 Months Later

It has been seven months since I blogged about how I’d started running at the start of the New Year, so this is just an update for those interested.  Maybe you are a newbie runner, or contemplating doing it for the first time?  If so, you can read about how I began back in January here.

Apart from a few weeks over the summer when I had a bad back and took a break from running, I’ve managed to keep it up, because the benefits are really worth it.  From only being able to handle a few minutes at a time in the beginning, I can now manage to do 5K without stopping, which takes a little over half an hour to complete.

It’s a challenge, but feels like a massive achievement and has given me a boost in confidence and well-being.  These are some of the advantages I’m enjoying that will hopefully keep me wanting to run:

I’m maintaining my target weight

As well as taking up running in January, I also started attending Slimming World, as I was a couple of stones overweight.  I reached my target weight and now, even without following the Slimming World plan anymore, I’ve maintained it – which I put down to the fact I’m burning off a few hundred calories each week.

I’ve toned up

The difference in tone shows in my legs, bum, tum and even upper arms. The biggest change has been to my legs which I’m pleased about!  They feel taut and my calves have much more definition, making my ankles look slimmer.  I never loved my legs before, but they are now more shapely and I feel happy with the way they look in jeans.  Also the dreaded cellulite has reduced; BUT so too has my bra size, which is the only slight negative I can think of in all of this.  It’s a natural consequence of losing body fat and something I can live with, considering all the positives (and if you’re fortunate to be someone with boobage to spare it may not even be an issue for you!)

Post run sweaty photo!

I’ve only been ill once this year

Previously, I had a tendency to catch every cough and cold going.  This year, I think I’ve had just the one bad chest and I don’t suffer from a perpetually run down, lacking in energy, feeling.  I don’t wish to speak too soon, but hope I’m less prone to succumbing to ALL the bugs – let’s see how the winter goes and if I stay healthy, then I’ll know for sure my immune system has been boosted!

I enjoy it

Yes, I can grumble if the going gets tough, but overall I enjoy going for a run and actually look forward to it as it’s an opportunity to have a natter with the friends who join me, which keeps me nicely distracted from the exertion.

After a run my legs used to ache the next day, back when I first started, but they don’t any more and no longer do I feel stiff when I get out of bed, like I used to when I didn’t exercise at all.

You notice the little things that make you feel good, like not getting breathless jogging up a big flight of stairs.

Running is really quite liberating and makes you feel strong and capable.  Sometimes when I’m just walking around town, I’ll feel like I want to break into a run – something quite unimaginable before!

Do let me know in the comments if you have got into running lately and if you are enjoying it?  Feel free to share any tips and advice (for example it would be great to know where I can find leggings that don’t ride down, ha!)

© Copyright 2017 Antonia, All rights Reserved. Written For: #tidylife
Share:

11 Comments

1. October 29, 2017 / 6:42 am

So inspiring, Antonia! And you really do look fabulous! You should be incredibly proud of yourself!! xx

• Antonia
      November 1, 2017 / 10:05 am

Thank you so much Kimberly! That’s really nice of you to say. I hope I will keep it up – as I mentioned in my comment to Karen, the winter months might be quite testing, but if I do manage to maintain it I’ll be chuffed! Xx

2. October 29, 2017 / 7:10 pm

Yeah yeah! Go you!! So chuffed for you Antonia. So good that you feel so much better as well as look fit as a fiddle! I really hope I can keep my running up over winter. I’ve been running 5k all this week, it’s mad to think only 8 weeks ago I couldn’t run for 90 seconds without my chest burning but now i’m running for 30 minutes. I’m also keeping my fingers crossed my immune system has improved too. That would be enough to keep me running forever I reckon!xx

• Antonia
      November 1, 2017 / 10:03 am

Hey, Karen – thanks! But you’ve done so good yourself too and got there WAY quicker than I did!! Well done, you must feel epic 🙂 The test will be the winter months, I reckon, but we can do this!! Xx

3. October 30, 2017 / 6:13 am

Thats fantastic..how long did it take to lose the weight at SW?

• Antonia
      November 1, 2017 / 10:00 am

Hi Becky, it was about seven months although I could have got there quicker if I’d followed it 100%! I think I just lost a bit of momentum and see-sawed for a few weeks, but guess I got there in the end! SW definitely works though and you never have to feel hungry which is good 🙂

4. October 30, 2017 / 3:02 pm

Keep up the good work! You are totally entitled to everything. Also when I was running, it helped me relax mentally. We can only win by running!

• Antonia
      November 1, 2017 / 9:56 am

Thanks Hannah, I agree it’s beneficial in so many ways!

5. October 31, 2017 / 1:14 pm

I love running soooo much! I’ve been doing it off and on for years! I was reaching around 5K like yourself. Have you heard of ParkRun? They’re everywhere. I find them really useful because they time you, and you can work on your Personal best.

Recently though as it’s been getting darker, I’ve switched to tread mill. Heck of a difference from running on the roads and fields, Nearly gave up at one point. But I do feel safer indoors and of course I can make use of the muscle machines (usually legs and upper arms)

I understand completely that feeling of bursting into a run when you’re out and about! I cheesed off my partner one night, because I left him to walk back to the car (we were 2.5 miles away) I was quite happy sitting on the kerb stretching out my muscles whilst he plodded along angrily. (So funny)

Keep up the good work!

• Antonia
      November 1, 2017 / 9:55 am

Thanks for commenting! It seems it becomes quite addictive 🙂 I’m about to do my first park run this weekend actually and looking forward to it 🙂