Your Ultimate Summer Holiday Checklist: Essential Items to Take Abroad
Are you excited about your upcoming summer vacation abroad? Before you jet off to your dream destination, it’s important to ensure you have all the essential items packed in your suitcase. To help you make the most of your summer getaway, here’s a comprehensive checklist of must-have items.
Post contains some affiliate links so if you click and make a purchase I may receive a small commission… However it won’t cost you anything and it helps me to run this website
So whether you’re heading to the beach, exploring a new city, or embarking on an adventure, these essentials will ensure a stress-free and enjoyable trip. Let’s dive into our summer holiday checklist!
– Passport and visas (if required)
– Travel insurance documents
– Itinerary and reservation confirmations
BONUS TIP: Have photocopies of important documents
Money and Payment
– Sufficient local currency and some cash in small denominations
– Credit/debit cards and a travel money belt/pouch
– Traveller’s cheques (optional)
BONUS TIP: Don’t keep all your money/cards together in case of loss
– Lightweight and breathable clothing suitable for the destination’s climate
– Swimwear and beach cover-ups
– Comfortable walking shoes and sandals
– Hat, sunglasses, and a sarong or scarf for sun protection
– Light jacket or sweater for cooler evenings
– Beach bag
BONUS TIPS: Take cheap flip flops for poolside, pack individual outfits in poly bags, labelled
Toiletries and Medications
– Toiletry bag with essentials (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.)
– Sunscreen (with a high SPF) and after-sun lotion
– Insect repellent and anti-itch cream
– Prescription medications and a basic first aid kit
– Personal hygiene products
BONUS TIPS: Click and collect or buy toiletries at the airport. Consider buying a cooling face spray. Bring a fake tan mitt to apply regular sunscreen. Pack a foundation brush to apply sun lotion to the kids’ faces! Talcum powder helps remove sand from the skin. Decant your essentials into travel bottles.
Electronics and Gadgets
– Smartphone and charger
– Universal power adapter
– Camera or smartphone with a good camera for capturing memories
– Portable charger or power bank
– E-reader or tablet for entertainment during travel
BONUS TIPS: Take an extension lead with you! Also hand held face fans for the kids.
– Lightweight and durable luggage or backpack
– Travel-sized laundry detergent and clothesline (for longer trips)
– Travel pillow and blanket for long flights or journeys
– Travel locks and luggage tags
– Travel-sized umbrella or raincoat (if needed)
BONUS TIP: Stickers or straps on your suitcase can help you identify it on the carousel. Packing cubes are a great way to save space and organise your case.
Entertainment and Miscellaneous
– Books, magazines, or e-books for leisure time
– Travel journal and pen
– Portable Bluetooth speaker
– Travel games or playing cards
– Reusable water bottle and a foldable tote bag for day trips
BONUS TIPS: Take a collapsible bucket and spade. Also buy your pool inflatables and take them with you as they are always top price on holiday! Write your name on them with a Sharpie. Stock up on snacks like cereal bars, crisps etc before the holiday to take with you. Consider taking reusable tall beakers with straws and lids which you can refill with drinks on holiday. Thin microfibre towels take up less space and are absorbant and sand resistant.
Safety and Health
– Copy of important emergency contacts
– Travel-sized hand sanitizer and wet wipes
– Basic over-the-counter medications (pain relievers, motion sickness tablets, etc.)
– Prescription glasses or contact lenses (if applicable)
BONUS TIP: Take plasters, diarrhoea relief and rehydration tablets.
Having the right items with you can greatly enhance your summer holiday experience abroad. With this comprehensive checklist, you’ll be well-prepared to enjoy your vacation to the fullest. Remember to tailor the list to your specific destination and activities. For more great holiday ideas, gadgets and space savers check out my Summer Holiday suggestions on Amazon! Happy holidays 🙂
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.